Saturday, April 08, 2006

Special Deal for AGA Defectors

The anal-retentive Don (as in Corleone) of the AGA's intended replacement for rec.games.go, www.godiscussions.com predictably wielded the sword of censorship at the slightest sign of dissent against the American Go Association.

Although I used polite terms in announcing my Battle Plan, he immediately locked the thread (he hasn't deleted it - yet, perhaps because I emailed him that this would not increase his forum's credibility).

Here's The Plan: I will give away Moyo Go Studio to anyone submitting credible evidence of having terminated their AGA membership for at least the current year and/or the next year. I will only charge for materials and postage, but I expect hundreds of applicants so I can buy stuff in bulk, mail at at reduced rate etc. It will be certainly no more than 9 USD for a DVD, and that includes lifetime updates and lifetime pro games by weekly email.

This is a great deal. Basic AGA membership is only 15 bucks a year, Moyo Go normally costs 69 USD. You make me believe you cancelled your AGA subscription (I need proof of membership and evidence you cancelled it, a CC'ed email with full headers would be fine) and for 9 dollars or less, I have to see how low I can go - details announced soon in the news section at www.moyogo.com - the program's yours, on DVD, delivered to your door in a padded envelope, by priority air mail.

Anyone who goes the extra mile and not only permanently cancels their AGA membership but submits a formal complaint (either to the AGA or a regulatory body) will receive Moyo Go Studio completely free of charge. This offer is permanent and irrevocable.

Update: Don just announced his plans to "go commercial", to put targeted ads on his site. I have lost my remaining interest in his forum. There are no rules for moderation: Anything can and will be deleted or blocked at the sole discretion of The Don. This is what he wrote me as justification for censoring the thread: "Locking the thread was a subjective call. Was it the right move? I dunno. To borrow an excuse from GW Bush, it was a pre-emptive strike".