Saturday, May 13, 2006

Delete code done

I just finished the "Capture Chain(s)" code. It's less than 100 lines. Horrendously complex lines. In spite of carefully chosen, descriptive identifier names and a flurry of highly elucidating comments, it's not at all obvious what it does and how it does it.

When a chain is captured, its adjacent chains get more liberties, but the adjacent chains to those adjacent chains are now adjacent to chains that have a different number of liberties. And I keep a dynamic record of that. So the capture code removes max. four enemy chains, updates the liberty data of all adjacent own chains of those captured chains, and all adjacent chains (empty or enemy) to "own" adjacent chains to captured chains get their adjacent-enemy chain liberty-sorted info rearranged. Because adjacent chains are sorted on how many liberties they have.

This will take more time documenting and debugging than it took to write (3 days). I will never be able to remember all this shit. It looks like a space alien wrote it.

Although tempting, I will not proceed with the "Place Stone / Merge Chains" code, first I'll set up test cases to put what I have now to its paces. I'm eager to see some realistic benchmark differences between a 32-bit and a 64-bit exe.