Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Law of Diminishing Returns

In order not to fall victim to the Law of Diminishing Returns, I recently started a translation initiative.

One of the problems encountered is that Object Pascal has no out-of-the-box support for Unicode. I used Unicode-enabled 3rd-party widgets here & there but a lot of components don't have any, like the component I made myself, the slider in this picture. It takes some Windows API hacking to make hints support Chinese, but it's worth it. I'm getting a lot of CJK SPAM these days, caused by the fact that Chinese, Japanese and Korean Go forums started linking to me. Almost nobody from those countries buys my software yet, because so far it has not been localized.

It is important I do not lose sight of my goal: Making the world's strongest Go program. This is why I will tone down the "new features" factory and instead focus on bugfixing, small improvements (like adding shortcut buttons and other things my users have suggested).

It has come to my attention that my competitors have re-invigorated their pursuit of building Go-playing software (Mark Boon, for example). They will find a tough competitor in me. My target is to have a search-based Life & Death / Connectivity module by the end of the year, although it will be elligible for continuous improvement, of course.